Who Likes Me

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Doctor, who?

I never thought much of Dr. Who. I knew it was an old TV show that was sort of science fiction, but thought that it was  bit over the top, of course I was just a kid and Dr. Who was not all that popular.

A few years ago, my spouse started watching it, I had no interest. He explained how much he liked Doctor #10 over Doctor #9, I of course was lost.....Doctor....who????

One day I was on the couch doing some homework, and he decided to watch BBC America because Dr. Who just happened to be on. I was doing homework, so I really didn't care.

But then I looked up from my work, saw on the TV this gangly looking guy and this beautiful ginger haired girl, and the Weeping Angels.

I was HOOKED!

After getting a quick education on "The Doctor" I began watching it nearly religiously. I managed to catch myself up and watched every episode from the first of Doctor #9 to the last episode of Season 5 with Doctor #11.

What I found interesting was not that this show was simply a Sci-Fi, but it was a lesson in humanity.

The Doctor is the "Jesus" figure that you find in much of literature. The consummate sacrifice to save humanity. It is quite powerful, and you find yourself empathic to the Doctor, even when he is destroying the world.

But, it is not so much the TV show and the great acting and all of the special effects. It is how the show pulls its audience in and make you want to be a part of it.

You want to run off with the Doctor.

Wouldn't that be fascinating? To run off with the most amazing individual in all of time, get into his blue box that is bigger on the inside and fly through space and time.

I would so do it.

The sheer idea of the escape, I think is what captures my attention the most. The Doctor's companions are not girlfriends or lovers, they are simply the right hand and best friend, the everlasting friend through time and eternity. The most beloved person in the Doctor's world, he never give up on his friends and he always comes back for them.

Can you imagine what it would be like to have someone like that in your life. The perfect best friend? The person that no matter what, no matter what you say or do that friend will never leave you - unless he is killed while regenerating by an Impossible Astronaut- the friend who takes you to the most amazing places in the most amazing times.

The best friend, who's favorite food is Fish Fingers and Custard!

A Time Lord.
A Gallifrian
A Doctor
A Destroyer of Worlds....
...or the Salvation of the Universe?

It is for you to decide....would you follow this madman?

.............Spoilers............


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me...