Who Likes Me

Friday, July 29, 2011

The Long Drive Home

I understand now why when people are angry they go for a drive. It is not so much that you need to "get away" but perhaps you need to "get somewhere" whether it is an actual destination or an emotional destination, driving is a great way to do a lot of thinking and figuring things out.

I drove from Beaumont, CA to Goodyear, AZ today a 4.5 hour drive. Very easy drive Interstate 10 all the way. The long drive home was my time to think about all the things that I experienced over the past 6 days. Boy, that was a lot of information to process.

You have an opportunity during that long stretch of highway to evaluate each and every event. Almost like you are sorting out a filing cabinet and reorganizing the files. You get rid of the old files and you replace them with new ones. You relabel the folders and you fill those folders up with new information. Sometimes you have replace a whole folder with a brand new one, and sometimes a folder is no longer necessary so you can just throw that one out.

At the end you have a nice neat and organized filing cabinet. So, that is sort of like the memories of the experiences you have. Like the experiences I had during my California Adventure. I kept the memories I needed to keep, rearranged some stuff, and got rid of some stuff.

But, don't you sometimes go back to that trash can and fish out those old files because you convince yourself that maybe you need to hold on to them "just in case"? Well, we can't do that, we have to let go and move forward.

Now, I am suffering from some "back at home blues" but I will get over them. I will get back into my routine, make plans, make a lists of tasks that need to be accomplished in the next week.

I have one more free week until school starts and then it is back to work, back to reality, and back to life.

Still moving forward on the journey which encompasses so many things, I just hope that I don't give up on the journey too soon, that I get "comfortable" again with the status quo, that I let that filing cabinet of my experiences get messy again.

We will see....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me...